Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If You Like...

I decided to choose another popular book, in the hopes of connecting with a large number of our readers. Of course I am aware that not everyone enjoyed this week’s selection (I am one such person) but with that in mind, you may find a story you can connect with from the recommendations I present to you. Please remember that these recommendations do not mirror all characteristics of the selection, rather they have similarities in plot, characterization, tone, and so on. I hope you find something you like.

If you like…


Twilight by Stephanie Meyer



When seventeen-year-old Bella leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.






Then you might like…

Evernight by Claudia Gray

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

 Look for Me by Moonlight by Mary Downing Hahn



When the mysterious Vincent Morthanos arrives to stay at her father's inn, 16-year-old Cynda is mesmerized. His charm and sensitivity are irresistible. His attentiveness is constant. Cynda's sure she's in love. Daring to hope that the stranger shares her feelings, Cynda is innocently blind to who he really is--or to the terrible danger of coming under his spell.




Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde



When Kerry’s little brother forgets his stuffed bear at the laundry, Kerry ventures out at 11:00 p.m. to retrieve it for him. The laundry is deserted and kind of spooky, and while she’s there three men burst in, dragging a bound and bloodied young man they insist is a vampire. Kerry helps him escape, only to be caught up in a desperate game between vampire hunters and their prey.




The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause


Zoe is wary when, in the dead of night, the beautiful yet frightening Simon comes to her house.  Simon seems to understand the pain of loneliness and death and Zoe's brooding thoughts of her dying mother.

Simon is one of the undead, a vampire, seeking revenge for the gruesome death of his mother three hundred years before.  Does Simon dare ask Zoe to help free him from this lifeless chase and its insufferable loneliness?
 

7 comments:

Aurora Smith said...

The silver kiss book cover was fabulous!! I feel like scense I read twilight I read them all, but I may check out the Gothic one. That sounds kinda cool.

Jamie Manning said...

Thanks for this post! I loved Twilight, so I'm definitely gonna be checking these other titles out!

Pam Harris said...

Great post! And I definitely think Twilight gets a bad rap. It encouraged MILLIONS of people to pick up a book in read. That's A-OK in my opinion. :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

pam- you're right. If it got millions reading, that's always going to be a great thing. So wise in your old age!

Holly- this is a great feature-- love it. I am not a huge paranormal fan, but this is still super cool.

Emy Shin said...

I actually haven't read any of these; will definitely check them out. Thanks, Michelle!

Michelle Julian said...

I agree with you Pam, it doesn't matter what you read as long as you're reading.

Jenn Rush said...

I LOVE Companions of the Night. I've read that book so many times I had to buy another copy because mine was falling apart. I wish more people knew about it! I also wish they'd redesign that cover...