Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Teen Interview: I Should've Been Katniss!

Once again, we have another interview with one of your potential readers. This time, I speak with Liza, an 8th grader from Virginia. Without further ado...


Tell us about your school. (What are the demographics? Are there any noticeable cliques? Etc., etc.)
There are not really any cliques, but there are some girls that are known more than others. I’m perfectly fine with my group of friends. I've accepted that some girls are just more outgoing and social than me.

What is it about a book that makes you pick it up when you're browsing the shelves of the library or book store?
Sometimes the title or if I recognize the author. If I see the cover and it’s “bleh” then I wouldn’t pick it up. I also tend to choose books that aren’t about vampires.

What's the best book you've read in the past 6 months?
Hmm, I would say Hunger Games but I haven’t read that in the past few months. I wanted to try out for Katniss! I want to try to be an extra, though. But probably My Sister’s Keeper or House Rules by Jodi Picoult. My friends told me about My Sister’s Keeper and I saw the movie, and they said the book was better--so I wanted to see for myself.

If you could ban one thing from all books, what would it be?
Mary Sues. On Shelfari, there are role-playing groups and the girls just make perfect characters. I’m tired of really perfect girls, with long flowing black hair and emerald eyes and thin bodies. Everyone worships them. Ugh!

What would you like to see more of in YA novels?
Real life stuff, like in My Sister’s Keeper. Just normal people going through hard times.

What's your favorite part of a story? The characters, the setting, or the conflict?
Everything. I like different characters and plot twists, but then sometimes I don’t. It depends on the book. All books are different, but I’m never really a big fan of romances.

Do you feel like the characters in YA books are representative of you?
Sometimes one quality from the characters, like their determination. Usually, none of them look like me, though.

What's a popular saying you can't stand?
“That’s what she said” maybe. I’m tired of everyone being perverted.

What's a saying that you like?
I say “meh” a lot. When I’m upset or frustrated, that’s my go-to word.

What will you eat for lunch today?
Nachos or pizza. Something from the cafeteria. I don’t trust the meat in the nachos, though.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Oh God, there’s so many. My friend wants the ability to control time, so now I kind of want it. But I also want to fly or control fire or air.

What kind of stories do you like to write?
I’m not a big romance writer at all. If there is romance, there’s very little. I lean toward the realistic stuff. I write about heartache and grief and death. And blood. For some reason, I can write bloody scenes but I can’t watch them or hear about them.

Any last words you want to give to our readers?
Trust us—or at least most of us.

Thanks, Liza--you rock!

3 comments:

Marquita Hockaday said...

This is a GREAT interview! How cute is it that she wants to be an extra in The Hunger Games?? And is it sad that we say "meh" all the time, too? Her answers are so intelligent, I like how she pointed out that she sees qualities of herself in the characters from books that she reads. And fist pump for the answer of seeing "Just normal people going through hard times"!

Glenna said...

I cannot believe she's in eighth grade! FANTABULOUS interview!

(she took a dig at vampire books. <3 find this girl and let her know she's adopted.)

Alicia Gregoire said...

In 8th grade I wrote a lot about heartache, grief, and death. Actually, my friends that wrote around that age ALL wrote about it. Anyone else?